Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Crafting TIps: Avoiding Glue Gun Hazards

I have a couple of tips for all of my readers and the gang over at We Are THAT Family:WFMW. Be sure to visit this week's edition of WFMW to learn other great ideas and tips from other members of the blogging world.

Most crafters make use of a glue gun in their creations. I, for some reason, always am looking for the newer, better glue gun, BUT return to my old tried and true cheap low temp gun. Since I don't use it frequently, and I am getting those SENIOR MOMENTS, I am always looking for ways to avoid hazards in its use.
One of my major concerns is forgetting to turn the crazy thing OFF after I am through using it for that crafting session. I don't know what the likelihood is of it causing a fire, but I really don't want to take the chance. Here's what I started doing a few months back and it seems to Work For Me. I keep one of these stretchy coil wrist bands (used mainly for keys) close to my glue gun. As I plug in the glue gun, the coil goes on my wrist as a reminder to make sure I unplug the glue gun when I am finished with my project. I use the same aide, just a different color coil, for my iron used in crafting room.



One other glue gun tip I have found handy (I believe I first heard this on the Martha Stewart Show): keep a bowl of ice water close by in case you get HOT glue on your fingers. Just dowse the finger(s) in the ice water to stop the burning!

Attention: Be sure and enter my current Blog Giveaway for your choice of A FANDANGLE. The contest ends Oct. 31. So skip over to my Fandangle tutorial to enter and learn how to make one, just in case you don't win.

2 comments:

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Good idea - thanks for sharing. I still use a huge monster of a glue gun that I have had since-------Oh my! I just realized I have had that thing 20+ years!!!
Glenda

Sharon said...

Agree! I'm always double checking to make sure I unplugged it!